List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    Re: [HACKERS] Docbug, SPI_getbinval, triger example
From:       Tom Lane <tgl () sss ! pgh ! pa ! us>
Date:       2001-11-30 18:03:17

mlw <markw@mohawksoft.com> writes:
> The docs suggest that this:
>         /* Get number of tuples in relation */
>         ret = SPI_exec("select count(*) from ttest", 0);

Mph.  The example *used* to be right, but is not as of 7.2, because
count() now returns int8 which is pass-by-reference.  Your proposed
fix isn't quite right either (you'd have noticed the difference between
*int and *int8 on a big-endian machine ;-)).  Probably we should change
the example to read

	i = (int) DatumGetInt64(SPI_getbinval(...));

Alternatively the example query could be changed to

        ret = SPI_exec("select count(*)::int4 from ttest", 0);

so as to avoid the backend version dependency.  Comments anyone?

			regards, tom lane

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster