List:       postgresql-admin
Subject:    Re: [ADMIN] Problem with PostgreSQL 8.1.4 Install (using RPMs)
From:       Tom Lane <tgl () sss ! pgh ! pa ! us>
Date:       2006-08-25 18:34:49

> Lane Van Ingen wrote:
>> Does anyone know what the initial user/password should be? Thanks.

> Probably postgres without a password but with ident authentication,
> which means you must log in as the postgres user on your OS.  (That one
> probably doesn't have a password either, so go through root.)

ie, something like

	sudo su - postgres -c "psql"

Since the default is ident auth, even if you'd assigned a password it
would be irrelevant to whether you could get into the database or not.
If you want to use passwords to control that, you'll need to edit
pg_hba.conf.

			regards, tom lane

               http://archives.postgresql.org