List:       postgresql-admin
Subject:    Re: [ADMIN] postgres xlog crashes - recovery procedure
From:       Andrew Sullivan <andrew () libertyrms ! info>
Date:       2002-10-30 15:23:14

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:47:40PM -0500, Alexander Korobov wrote:

> I'm aware of contrib/pg_resetxlog but this does not seem to be reliable tool.

It's as reliable as it can be, as far as I know.  There is the
potential for data loss, but that's the problem with having lost your
WAL.

> Are there any postgres specific recovery procedures and /or documentation on how
> to prevent such situations?

The recovery in this case is pg_resetxlog.  As for prevention, it
depends on what happened.  Any ideas?

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster