List:       postgresql-admin
Subject:    Re: [ADMIN] Maximum Performance Follow-up Question
From:       Tom Lane <tgl () sss ! pgh ! pa ! us>
Date:       2002-01-25 19:50:24

"Peter T. Brown" <peter@memeticsystems.com> writes:
> Is there any BIG risk in turning fsync off?

No, I wouldn't say so if you consider your data noncritical.  fsync is
for stuff like orders and bank accounts, where losing even one
committed transaction is not acceptable.

> And isn't there some way to use fsync but just use it less frequently,

That's pretty much what you get with fsync off: the Unix system will
still flush data to disk every 30 sec or so (see syncer daemon's man
page).

			regards, tom lane