List:       postgis-users
Subject:    Re: [postgis-users] Geography point to polygon st_distance for a polygon crossing the equator
From:       Paul Ramsey <pramsey () cleverelephant ! ca>
Date:       2017-02-21 14:12:03

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

That's right, we don't have a way to differentiate between great-circle
edges and loxodromes on geography (or vice versa in geometry).

​You can approximate a "square"  by densifying your east-west lines in the
places you want vertices to go, but the inter-vertex edges will still be
great circles. You can do that by densifying in geometry land and then
casting back to geography.

P.