List:       postgis-users
Subject:    Re: [postgis-users] raster2pgsql: -t TILE_SIZE
From:       Pierre Racine <Pierre.Racine () sbf ! ulaval ! ca>
Date:       2015-03-16 17:30:50

> If you're storing the raster in the database, I have no specific suggestions.
> The reason for no suggestion is that it really depends on the characteristics
> of the raster (number of bands, pixel type of each band) and the server
> environment.

You normally want to store in-db because you want to do some kind of analysis. In \
that case, the optimal tile size is dependent on the kind of analyses you want to do. \
You tend to want to minimize the number of tiles loaded per analysis (bigger tiles) \
and at the same time minimize loading areas not involved in the analysis (smaller \
tiles). For example if you want to get an aggregated raster value per some kind of \
polygons, the process will be faster if the tiles size is about the mean size of your \
polygons.

Pierre