List:       postgis-users
Subject:    [postgis-users] ST_Estimated_Extent
From:       Nicolai Parlog <nicolai.parlog () disy ! net>
Date:       2015-03-11 12:09:25

  Hi!

I'm new to PostGIS and am tasked with making some existing queries work
on different PostGIS versions. I am currently dealing with
ST_Estimated_Extent and have a question regarding its behavior changes
across different versions.

In some failure cases (e.g. empty table) the method returns null. But
this was not always so, "[p]rior to version 1.5.4 an exception was
thrown instead"[1, 2]. But I know that at least in 1.3.3 it also returns
null and was told that this changed some time in 1.4.x.

I did not find anything to that effect in the release notes[3]. It would
be great if someone could point me to a source which documents when the
behavior changed from "return null" to "throw an exception".

  Thanks in advance
  Nicolai Parlog

[1] http://postgis.net/docs/ST_Estimated_Extent.html
[2] http://postgis.net/docs/release_notes.html#idp72360512
[3] http://postgis.net/docs/release_notes.html

--
Disy Informationssysteme GmbH
Nicolai Parlog, Diplom-Informatiker

Firmensitz: Ludwig-Erhard-Allee 6, 76131 Karlsruhe
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Mannheim, HRB 107964
Geschäftsführer: Claus Hofmann