List:       postgis-users
Subject:    Re: [postgis-users] Problems after update to PostGis 2.0
From:       Sandro Santilli <strk () keybit ! net>
Date:       2012-04-26 14:17:18

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 11:39:55AM +0200, Felix Obermaier wrote:
> > Did you try re-installing postgis 1.5.x ?
> Yes, I did, but it complained that this or that function could not be \
> dropped/replaced because objects were depending on it.

Not with postgis_upgrade_15_minor I guess ?

> I finally tweaked the uninstall_postgis.sql script to DROP CASCADE but then all \
> geometry columns were gone :(.

Ouch. Wrong move.

> It is not really dramatic, the geometry columns can be restored from shapefiles. I \
> admit I don't know too much about postgresql, but maybe it is possible not to drop \
> the geometry columns when uninstalling postgis and just leave plain binary data.

No, it's not possible. But it is possible to make them usable again by
replacing the input/output routines.

> > It's in the README file, under the section UPGRADING:
> >
> > << PostGIS provides a SOFT UPGRADE procedure for minor or bugfix
> > releases, and an HARD UPGRADE procedure for major releases. >>
> I must admit I didn't read the README but stuck with the documentation:
> http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-2.0/postgis_installation.html#upgrading
>  Maybe it is worth a notice that soft upgrade from 1.5 or prior is bound to fail.

From the documentation page you link to:

 << PostGIS provides a SOFT UPGRADE procedure for minor or bugfix releases,
    and a HARD UPGRADE procedure for major releases.  >>

It isn't clear to you that 2.0 is a major release from 1.5 ?

--strk;