List:       postgis-users
Subject:    Re: [postgis-users] Fw: re: Geocoder (from extras)
From:       Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri () swoodbridge ! com>
Date:       2011-05-30 14:59:18

Right, This is happening in a stored procedure that is doing some
additional work, but my point was, that the in the 200-400ms case you
are measuring the the disk hit performance as a page is getting located
on disk and paged into cache and at the faster 20-40ms you are getting
just the index speed, the page look up in memory and record access and
whatever additional execution I'm doing in the stored procedure.

The 20-40ms performance is on average when processing a few 100,000
requests randomized over the coverage area so the actual faster speeds
are probably closer to 5-8ms and average out to the 20-40ms when you
cost in the out of cache page hits.

Sorry for provide less than complete information originally.

-Steve