List:       postgis-users
Subject:    Re: [postgis-users] PostGIS geography question: wrapping the globe
From:       Luís_de_Sousa <luis.a.de.sousa () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-06-15 7:51:01

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 6:05 AM,  <pcreso@pcreso.com> wrote:

> How can I create a geography that goes from -90 to 90 & crosses the dateline vs one \
> that goes the other way around the globe & crosses the 0 degree meridian?

Hi Brent, sometime ago I had to do a similar thing creating meridians
and parallels for worldwide charts. The only way to do it is by using
bordering points such as -89.99 89.99.

Note though that some drawing packages will have difficulty displaying
this sort of lines. For instance, QGis is unable to correctly draw a
line coming from the projection centre in an azimuthal projection,
e.g. drawing a meridian starting at the south pole in a south pole
centred projection.

Luís