List:       postgis-devel
Subject:    [postgis-devel] Outdated PostGIS Help section regarding CLUSTER?
From:       Marco Boeringa <marco () boeringa ! demon ! nl>
Date:       2023-02-26 10:50:38

Hi,

I noticed the PostGIS documentation mentions that CLUSTER cannot be run
against GiST type index unless the column is set to NOT NULL. This seems
outdated information, at least, I have never had issues with running
CLUSTER in any recent (> 12) version of PostgreSQL, even though the
spatial columns being clustered on, are not set to NOT NULL.

The example also seems to use outdated syntax compared to current
PostgreSQL docs, that suggest 'USING' instead of 'ON' type syntax.

Lastly, I did once try to use BRIN as input for CLUSTER, which failed
because BRIN is AFAIK not suitable as input for CLUSTER operations due
to the technical implementation of BRIN. Maybe it would be good to
mention this restriction instead in the docs.

https://postgis.net/docs/manual-3.3/performance_tips.html#database_clustering

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-cluster.html

Marco