List:       postfix-users
Subject:    [pfx] Re: omitting the X-Google-Original-From header
From:       Steffen Nurpmeso via Postfix-users <postfix-users () postfix ! org>
Date:       2023-12-23 0:19:04

Hallo.

Lars Kollstedt via Postfix-users wrote in
 <5d6f30a5-9401-47e7-90a9-627bd644718a@man-da.de>:
 |>|By Google. Exactly what their algorithm is for it is not known. The "X-"
 |>|prefix is the clue: it's an experimental or local-use header.
 |>
 |> Note that the X- prefix is deprecated by RFC 6648 from 2012:
 |>
 |>    Deprecating the "X-" Prefix and Similar Constructs in Application \
 |>    Protocols
 |
 |That's the headline of the RFC, but from my reading of the RFC text in
 |RFC6648 they only deprecated the X- naming convention due to issues when
 |migrating non standardized headers to standardized headers after years
 |or decades of use.
 |
 |But there is no reason not to use the X- prefix for very site specific
 |headers, like the X-Google- one above in the RFC.

There is no "law", of course.

 |The RFC IMHO addresses more the requirement of the X- prefix at least
 |for headers that could possibly get standardized in future.

You are right in all that you say (of course).
But (then again) in the meantime quite a lot of correspondence and
also some other RFCs flew by, and not seldom people refer to the
mentioned RFC to remove the X- prefix.  For example the SPF author
who is also on this list wrote in his RFC 7208

   o  Use of X- fields in the ABNF has been removed; see [RFC6648] for
      background.

And he is not alone with that (what i can say for sure).
And that is what, to my understanding, RFC 6648 tries to achive.

Thinking about it it is even astonishing that it took until the
year 2012 for an IETF name space guidance like

   Note: If the relevant parameter name space has conventions about
   associating parameter names with those who create them, a parameter
   name could incorporate the organization's name or primary domain name
   (see Appendix B for examples).

to be published explicitly, given that with JAVA and such
"reversed organizational namespaces" like com.MYCOMPANY. appeared
in broad scope by the mid of the 90s (in that even *i* recognized
it, and it was "everywhere": 'could have been much earlier, too).

   Therefore, it appears that segregating the parameter space into a
   standardized area and a unstandardized area has few, if any, benefits
   and has at least one significant cost in terms of interoperability.

--steffen