List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: different treatment for different From: domains
From:       "D. R. Evans" <doc.evans () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-02-16 18:33:43

Wietse Venema wrote on 2/10/23 08:24:
> D. R. Evans:
>> I have a postfix setup that, for a long time, has done exactly what I want.
>> But now I have to change something and I have no idea how to make this
>> particular change:
>>
>> E-mail from several domains are sourced on my network. Now I need to treat
>> e-mail with the From: line
>>     user@domain1.com
>> differently from e-mail with the From: line
>>     otheruser@domain2.com
>>
>> Until now, both those From: lines have been treated the same -- some
>> processing, then mostly sent to a relayhost, with some specific destinations
>> handled via the transport map; but now I need to send all e-mails with the
>> second From: line to a different relayhost from the one that handles the first
>> From: line.
>
> There are two features that support sender-dependent routing:
>
> sender_dependent_relayhost_maps
>
>      This looks up a relayhost value that depends on sender.
>      Like relayhost, this uses default_transport.
>      It is seached with the envelope sender address and @domain.
>
> sender_dependent_default_transport_maps
>
>      This overrides transport and destination.
>      It is seached with the envelope sender address and @domain.
>
> In most cases, sender_dependent_relayhost_maps will do the job.

In a (failed) attempt to get this working, I have added the following to main.cf:

sender_dependent_relayhost_maps=hash:/etc/postfix/relayhost_maps

I have created the following /etc/postfix/relayhost_maps file:

----
@arrl.net       [smtp.pobox.com]:587
----

I have done the usual

postmap /etc/postfix/relayhost_maps
   and
postfix reload

but when I try to send an e-mail from my address n7dr@arrl.net it is still not
routed to smtp.pobox.com, but to the server designated on the normal
relayhost= line in the main.cf file.

Please, what am I doing wrong? The documentation seems pretty sparse in this
area, but my interpretation of what I can find is that the changes I have made
should work.

Thank you for your patience.

   Doc Evans

--