List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: base64 encoded emails
From:       Ralph Seichter <abbot () monksofcool ! net>
Date:       2019-10-18 17:25:36

* Fourhundred Thecat:

> What is the legitimate reason to use base64 encoded emails ?

Languages with an alphabet size of more than the puny 26 characters used
in English, for example. ;-) While quoted-printable encoding would do as
well in many cases, MUAs may opt to use base64 instead. The primary
disadvantage I see is the inherent waste of space, but given the
evolution of storage space and network connectivity, that's a minor
issue to me in 2019.

> Would it be crazy to want to configure Postfix to not accept base64 ?

Very much so, assuming that you wish to communicate with anybody not
using only US-ASCII, or that you wish to keep receiving attachments.

> I believe email should be plaintext.

The introduction of RFC1341 in 1992 made it quite obvious that other
people think differently. While plain text is still very much a thing in
mailing lists (and rightly so), modern email uses encompass much more
than sending text messages.

-Ralph