List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: Refuse mail from hosts with closed port 25
From:       Jim Reid <jim () rfc1035 ! com>
Date:       2019-09-16 13:03:50

> On 16 Sep 2019, at 13:47, Paul van der Vlis <paul@vandervlis.nl> wrote:
>
> How can I refuse mail from hosts who don't have an open port 25?
>
> What do you think from such a check?

It's a stunningly bad idea. Don't do it.

Many enterprises and cloud-based mail providers have discrete servers/systems \
handling inbound and outbound mail. In these setups, the servers sending you email \
won't have a listener on port 25 -- or any other port -- for inbound email.

> Is there more needed?  E.g. a list of exceptions for some big providers?

It'll be impractical to maintain a workable whitelist. There will probably be too \
many false positives and negatives. And the approach probably won't be an effective \
anti-spam measure either. But if you want to try the experiment and report back, go \
ahead. It'll only be you and your customers who will have to deal with the \
consequences.