List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: Mail forwarding through a relay
From:       John Regan <jreganoct () gmail ! com>
Date:       2019-09-13 1:00:47

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 3:14 AM Chris Wedgwood <cw@f00f.org> wrote:

> > I have a postfix-3.2.6 system that acts as a mail server and
> > pop/imap using dovecot for a small domain. The problem is that
> > people are increasingly using it as a relay to a personal account,
> > such as Gmail and Yahoo.
>
> perhaps i misunderstand
>
> they are sending email from gmail/yahoo addresses from your MTA?  if
> so those will get blocked in many cases and marked as spam in many
> others

No, the issue is with people sending them email to their address on our
system which is then forwarded on to some remote system - a digitalwest
system in my example, but I'm also concerned with other systems, including
gmail and yahoo, of course.

Do mail providers like digitalwest typically allow forwarding from their
accounts through to other providers? With no easy solution, what do most
providers do?

Is SRS in practical use? Is the general recommendation that it should be
implemented in situations like this, or is disabling forwarding more
common? Is the policy of most systems to reject on SPF fail?

Thanks so much for everyone's help.