List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: build failure with glibc-2.30
From:       "Bill Cole" <postfixlists-070913 () billmail ! scconsult ! com>
Date:       2019-08-20 16:22:17

On 20 Aug 2019, at 2:29, Eliza wrote:

> HI
>
> on 2019/8/20 14:23, Eray Aslan wrote:
>>> etc. Fixed in Postfix 3.5. You cn delete the offending lines.
>>> Which distro are you building on?
>> That was on gentoo.  Sorry didnt think of checking on postfix-3.5.
>
> Just be curious for what reasons we choose to build a software from
> sources? today it's very convenient to use package management tools to
> install linux software.

1. Postfix isn't just for Linux.

2. Even for Linux, packaging is variable. e.g. Gentoo's Portage package
is mostly used in a build from source mode.

3. Many people want a stable mature base platform (e.g EL7 or even EL6 )
but want to be more current with critical functionality, like the MTA on
a production mail server.

4. Some people prioritize the security advantages of bespoke minimized
systems with known build conditions over those of a system with builds
designed for the broadest possible audience and maintained by an expert
team. This is more commonly seen in the BSD world, but it is not
infeasible with Linux.

--
Bill Cole