List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: Thanks: Input requested: append_dot_mydomain default change
From:       wietse () porcupine ! org (Wietse Venema)
Date:       2014-09-29 22:00:23

Matthias Andree:
> 3 - is there a useful way to log warnings about unqualified domains when
> they are observed and qualified in mid-flight, so that people have
> something to watch for before flipping the switch?  It seems there
> already is, check_{sender,recipient}_access + WARN action + regexp map -
> so canonical information how to enable this ahead of time already now
> might help smooth out the migration even more.

Such logging might help people to decide that it is safe to flip
the switch and adopt the new default. However the Postfix code that
rewrites addresses has no information about the message delivery
context (queue ID, SMTP client, sender, recipient), and that is not
going to change.

As for bumping the Postfix version to 3.0, that is a decision that
will be separate from append_dot_mydomain. It will be made for
different reasons.

The whole point of the new compatibility stuff is to *avoid*
disruption when people upgrade, whether is is the upcoming stable
release, or some future stable release. We can't bump the major
version every time some default changes.

About back-porting incompatible emergency fixes, that falls outside
the scope of the Postfix compatibility guarantee.

	Wietse