List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Long parameter settings in master.cf (was: Per-policy settings)
From:       wietse () porcupine ! org (Wietse Venema)
Date:       2014-09-29 15:12:40

Wietse Venema:
> This is now implemented for policy protocol clients. The basic idea
> is the same: instead of inet:host:port or unix:path/name, you specify
> { inet:host:port, name=value, ... }. There is a provision to specify
> values that contain spaces, which may be needed with the default_action
> attribute.
>
> Source code release: postfix-2.12-20140928.
>
> Documentation:
> http:/www.porcupine.org/postfix-mirror/MILTER_README.html#per-milter
> http:/www.porcupine.org/postfix-mirror/SMTPD_POLICY_README.html#advanced

I forgot to mention (and document) that master.cf now supports
whitespace in daemon command lines, for example:

    smtpd -o { parameter = value with whitespace } ...

Also, the { ... } form is now available for non-option command-line
arguments in master.cf, for example:

    pipe ... argv=command { argument with whitespace } ...

This took only a two-line change in the master(8) source code,
because the support for "{ text }" was already implemented for the
other features.

I can only wish that I had the cycles to design these improvements
a few years earlier.

	Wietse