List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: DNSSEC, was Re: TLS client logging PATCH
From:       Charles Marcus <CMarcus () Media-Brokers ! com>
Date:       2014-02-25 13:21:14

On 2/24/2014 3:52 PM, /dev/rob0 <rob0@gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 01:16:39AM +0100, Dirk Stöcker wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Feb 2014, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
>>> If you want scalable security for SMTP, become an early adopter
>>> of DANE TLS, available in Postfix 2.11.  Today, you'll be able
>>> to opportunistically authenticate the handful of DNSSEC signed
>>> domains that publish TLSA records for SMTP.  Over time, I hope
>>> that handful will grow to a decent fraction of SMTP sites.
>> Oh yes - DNSSEC. When will it come? In hundred years?
> Dirk, do you mind explaining this? Are you having trouble finding
> DNSSEC-enabled DNS hosting?

Well, here is what mine (DNSMadeEasy) says on the subject:

> After seeing others in the Managed DNS space fail to properly maintain
> these processes for customers and the headaches (and nightmares) that
> come from not properly implementing these processes, we have been very
> careful in approaching this difficult task.

and

> DNS Made Easy is monitoring the DNSSEC RFCs and their progress on the
> standards track. We will not consider implementing DNSSEC until NSEC3
> becomes widely implemented as NSEC allows domain enumeration (which we
> are firmly against). The root (.) domain is not signed and will not be
> signed for some time (if ever). There are currently some very real
> issues with DNSSEC key authentication, distribution, management, and
> revocation. DNS Made Easy will continue to evaluate DNSSEC
> implementation as these issues with the RFCs are resolved.
>
> Until the issues with DNS sec are resolved we will not consider
> implementing it with our primary service. I don't see this happening
> for a few years.

Curious what others (especially Victor) think of this response. Why are
they 'firmly against' NSEC's 'enumeration of domains' feature, and the
comment about 'very real issues...'...

Anyone have any recommendations for decent DNS Service Providers that
don't cost an arm and another arm (DNSMadeEasy is really inexpensive,
and their service has been awesome for the 3+ years we've been using
them), and that are known to 'do DNSSEC' right?

--

Best regards,

Charles