List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: DANE and DNSSEC adoption
From:       /dev/rob0 <rob0 () gmx ! co ! uk>
Date:       2014-02-24 23:10:32

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 10:50:24PM +0100, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> * Viktor Dukhovni <postfix-users@postfix.org>:
> > On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 02:36:46PM -0700, LuKreme wrote:
> > > unbound is better than bind for this sort of thing? (I noticed
> > > freeBSD 10 has switched from bind to unbound, I expect they
> > > have good reason).
> >
> > BIND is fine too, but I've not looked at how it is packaged on
> > various systems.  I know that the unbound package typically includes
> > scripts to automatically handle root zone key rollover.  Perhaps
> > modern BIND packages do that also.

As I said in reply to this in the other thread, it is simple. The
"dnssec-validation auto;" setting initializes the managed-keys
database using the compiled-in root key. A new root ZSK rollover
happens automatically.

> Unbound is *said* to be factor 10 times faster.

Yes, I have heard things like this also, but I have not been shown
the actual tests, so I remain skeptical. :)

I recently addressed this on the dnsmasq mailing list, where I
pointed out that a user's perception of DNS speed is dependent on
many different things, most of which are external and beyond your
control.

It might be possible to design a reasonable speed comparison, but
will it be relevant to the real world?

> If you are searching for
> resolver only, you are fine with unbound.

Yes, and the unbound folks also have NSD for authoritative name
service. BIND, OTOH, is an all-in-one DNS implementation, with a
caveat: you really should not have authoritative and recursive
service in the same named instance, in general.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/