List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: Password mismatch. Might the md5usm be wrong?
From:       Dotan Cohen <dotancohen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-07-07 9:52:06

On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Mark Alan <m6rkalan@gmail.com> wrote:
> The best place for this question is the Dovecot mailing list.

Wow, Mark, you're right! I'm sorry, I've been googling at this for
quite a while and my judgement must be impaired!

> That said, as a hint you should look at:
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm/Pw
>
> While at that page, if go to the part about '-u user' it clearly reads:
>   'When the DIGEST-MD5 scheme is used, also the user name must be
>   given, because the user name is a part of the generated hash.'
>
> Where in 'printf "12345" | md5sum', is that (required) user name?

I see, thanks. That alleviates that issue! For curiosity's sake I
tried to md5 hash the following, without being able to recreate the
md5 hash as generated by doveadm:
user:pass@someDomain.com
user@someDomain.com:pass
user@someDomain.com pass