List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: Mail.Global.FrontBridge.com
From:       DTNX/NGMX Postmaster <postmaster () dtnx ! net>
Date:       2010-11-30 18:22:10

On 27/11/2010, at 06:59, Michael J Wise wrote:

> > Microsoft pay no heed to standards, ...
>
> Microsoft pays heed to standards, or a lot of the Internet just wouldn't work.

This does seem a bit funny, given the subject under discussion. I understand that it \
is a big gorilla, and hard to turn on a dime, if at all. I also understand that it is \
a complex infrastructure consisting of a mix of frontend and backend servers, load \
balancers etcetera.

But put your money where your mouth is, I'd say ;-)  Working 'postmaster' accounts \
for the 'frontbridge.com' and 'bigfish.com' domains, read by clueful people would be \
a good start, instead of the bounce I got when we tried to report the PIPELINING \
issue on November 8th;

  <postmaster@frontbridge.com>: host 10.9.14.23[10.9.14.23] said: 550
     <postmaster@frontbridge.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
     virtual mailbox table (in reply to RCPT TO command)
  Reporting-MTA: dns; mail15-tx2-R.bigfish.com
  Arrival-Date: Mon,  8 Nov 2010 21:18:23 +0000 (UTC)

Or the runaround we got when we tried alternate channels to report a problem, last \
year, with missing DNS records for some of the nodes in the cluster. The person it \
eventually got to wanted to know why we wanted to contact 'postmaster@bigfish.com', \
when he got the (fully documented) problem right there in the same e-mail. Another \
November 8th, actually, perhaps that's just a bad date over there ;-)

We currently have a '*.bigfish.com' exception in place for our EHLO resolve check, \
and for the PIPELINING problem we've got this in our 'main.cf';

==
# Added to deal with MS Frontbridge madness (2010/11/08 21:50)
smtp_discard_ehlo_keywords = pipelining
==

I bet most of the people here are not interested in Microsoft bashing, they just want \
to keep the spice flowing. And given Microsoft's history, this being ANOTHER problem \
in a long line of issues the average mail admin has had to deal with with regard to \
Microsoft products and services, without being able to get a proper response from a \
human being ... perhaps you can understand where some of that frustration originates \
:-)

Anyway, thanks for the response, and the effort you're putting in. Hope you'll be \
able to make a fix happen.

Cya,
Jona