List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: error with a single user
From:       /dev/rob0 <rob0 () gmx ! co ! uk>
Date:       2010-11-29 13:44:33

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 01:09:30PM +0100, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:
> On 2010-11-29 Jon L Miller wrote:
> > I'm getting a return error message when I try to send an email to a
> > particular user:

Do note, we strongly prefer to see logs here.

> > Reporting-MTA: dns; mail.domain.com.au

Also note, it's improper to use real Internet domain names as
examples; we have example.TLD in every top-level domain for that.

Domain Name:                    domain.com.au
[ ... ]
Registrant:			FAIRFAX MEDIA LIMITED

> > Arrival-Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:26:33 +0800 (WST)
> >
> > Final-Recipient: rfc822; kathy.lampard@domain.com.au
> > Action: failed
> > Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; mail for 192.168.5.201 loops back to myself

"Loops back to myself" means that the domain in question is not
listed in any address class definition, so it is not recognized as
one of this Postfix's own domains, but DNS or a transport(5) lookup
said that it should be delivered to this Postfix.

> > Does anyone know how to rectify the error?
>
> Please post the output of "postconf -n" and relevant excerpts from
> your $virtual_mailbox_domains and $virtual_mailbox_maps.
>
> > I have the user listed in the following db's
> >
> > linux-gw1:/etc/postfix # grep kathy *
> >
> > local_user_map:kathy.lampard@domain.com.au          kathy
> > Binary file local_user_map.db matches
> > virtual:kathy.lampard@@domain.com.au        kathy
> > Binary file virtual.db matches
> > virtual_mailbox_recipients:kathy.lampard@domain.com.au              kathy
> > Binary file virtual_mailbox_recipients.db matches
>
> The user should have either a local or a virtual mailbox. Not both
> at the same time.

Yes, and perhaps the OP is under the common misconception that a bare
"username" with no "@domain" part means "deliver to Unix user
'username'." This is not so. Best practice is to always use fully-
qualified addresses as lookup results in your maps.

Refer to:
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#myorigin
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#append_at_myorigin
http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html

Assuming (we can ONLY assume since there was no postconf -n provided
with the post) that the file "virtual" is virtual_alias_maps, you
should have something like this for local delivery instead:
    kathy.lampard@@domain.com.au        kathy@localhost
with "localhost, localhost.$mydomain" included in your setting of
$mydestination.