List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: legal intercept to file.
From:       wietse () porcupine ! org (Wietse Venema)
Date:       2009-08-31 12:34:25

Brent Clark:
> Hiya
>
> I got this requirement from my client to keep a copy of ALL emails that gets sent \
> and received (legal intercept). Im thinking this can be done at SMTP time.
> My question is, would anyone know how and where, at SMTP time, not using \
> 'always_bcc', store the email to file.

Use recipient_bcc_maps (or sender_bcc_maps).

Untested example:

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
    recipient_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/recipient_bcc

/etc/postfix/recipient_bcc:
    # You need to "postmap" this file after editing it.
    foo@example.com	logger@localhost

/etc/aliases:
    # You need to run "newaliases" after editing this file.
    logger: /var/logger/

Note the trailing /.

This delivers each message as a maildir file, and thus avoids errors
that would happen when you deliver to one large file that grows
too large.

Make "/var/logger" a directory that is owned by nobody (or whatever
the value of "default_privs" is with your Postfix).

	Wietse