List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: postfix procmail virtual redux
From:       "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti () mclink ! it>
Date:       2007-06-02 20:03:42

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 21:17:18 PM +0200, mouss (mlist.only@free.fr)
wrote:

> > What about a general suggestion of:
> >
> >pass to procmail $recipient first, and all the other substrings
> >after, in a fixed order? $nexthop, $extension, and so on....
> >
> >in that way one could do
> >
> >INCLUDERC=/base/path/$1$2$3
> >
> >or maybe:
> >INCLUDERC=/base/path/$user.$nexthop.$extension
> >
> >Does it make sense?
>
> I believe this is site dependent. we could maybe have multiple examples
> that people can pick from. feel free to write a procmail readme if you
> have the time (I myself don't procmail).

As a matter of fact, while I did start this search for my own direct
needs (see my posts on the subject last year) , the reasons to keep
investigating all the variations are both expanded needs on my side
and the wish to write an article/howto about (among other things) this
particular way to handle virtual users

> BTW make sure $extension is safe for a filename. you may also want
> to "prohibit" spaces and other fun in your addresses.

Yes! I was implicitly giving for granted that I could *and* would only
accept, on my server at least, "filename-safe" addresses, but you are
absolutely right that a general howto has to make this feature/
limitation clear in advance. Then again, I said in advance my personal
needs and focus are not for public ISP environments...

Thanks for your other comments too. With respect to the issue below, I
can confirm that when you do that kind of searches, the official
postfix documentation seldom comes up in the first places, and I have
the highly unscientific feeling that the url/title mismatch plays a
role in this. While I know postfix enough by this time to not be
mislead by this, a total newbie may have an unnecessarily hard time.

> >(1) general note: the fact that all these postfix docs have README in
> >the URL and HOWTO in the title, and people referring to them sometimes
> >as README sometimes as HOWTO, may make life harder for newbies who are
> >told to google for this or that page. You don't always get the
> >official pages as the first result due to this fact.
>
> In fact, they are available as README files in the source tree (I
> actually never paid attention to the "howto" part in the title until
> this mail!).

	Marco