List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: SASL authentication via dovecot?
From:       Miguel Angel Tormo <mlists () edicom ! eu>
Date:       2007-05-31 19:36:16

El Jueves, 31 de Mayo de 2007 a las 18:37, Marco Fioretti escribió:
> Greetings,
>
> the postfix sasl readme, http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.htm
>
> says:
>
> > The Cyrus SASL library is a lot of code. With this, Postfix becomes
> > as secure as other mail systems that use the Cyrus SASL library.
> > Dovecot provides an alternative that may be worth considering.
>
> In principle, I like the idea of doing without Cyrus, since I have
> to run an IMAP server anyway and had already chosen Dovecot.
> However, I would like to know what other list members think of this
> approach: is it as secure as Cyrus, are you using it but
> configured differently, is that page up to date...
>
> The page also says:
>
> > Support for the Dovecot version 1 SASL protocol is available in
> > Postfix 2.3 and later.
>
> If one only has a binary package of Postfix, how can he check if
> dovecot support was compiled in? (without finding the makefile and
> looking at it, that is)
>
> TIA,
> Marco

I am using postfix 2.3 with dovecot sasl for authentication for almost 1 year now and \
never had an issue with it. It is very easy to set it up. In main.cf:
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
# Can be an absolute path, or relative to $queue_directory
smtpd_sasl_path = private/dovecotauth

In dovecot.conf:

auth default {
  mechanisms = plain login # and whatever
  .... some config ...

 socket listen {
    client {
     path = /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecotauth
     mode = 0660
     user = postfix
     group = postfix
     }