List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Dual Mail Relays
From:       Tony Nelson <tnelson () starpoint ! com>
Date:       2006-07-31 20:57:42

I have two mail servers that primarily serve as relays to our internal
mail systems.  The do the usual virus scanning, spam detection etc.

When an e-mail comes in for anyuser@starpoint.com it is re-written to
anyuser@win.starpoint.com via aliases and then delivered to our
internal systems and that works just fine.

My account actually lives on the primary mail relay and does not get
delivered to our internal systems.  Previously, I used a .forward on
the backup server to get the mail delivered to the primary by
specifying the actual server name in the forward.  Trying this method
in Postfix generates a bounce, which puzzles me.

Jul 31 16:45:05 [postfix/local] 46AA030297DD:
to=<tnelson@starpoint.com>, orig_to=<tnelson@mail.starpoint.com>,
relay=local, delay=0, status=bounced (mail forwarding loop for
tnelson@starpoint.com)

Doing some research I found the relay_domains parameter and how to
setup a backup mail server.  Following those instructions, I no longer
needed a .forward and all of my mail worked just fine, however; it
appears that the mail for the rest of the users was not going through
alias expansion and was all being forwarded to my primary mail relay
for final delivery.  In my current config that had the side effect of
having it virus scanned, spam detected, etc for a second time.

I'm not sure which way is the best way to go, and I really have no
preference.  I would just like to make it work.

My configs are similar enough, that I'm only attaching the config from
my primary relay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Tony Nelson

mail ~ # postconf -n
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
disable_vrfy_command = yes
home_mailbox = .maildir/
html_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.2.10/html
mail_owner = postfix
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
masquerade_domains = starpoint.com
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost,
$mydomain, instihire.com, tisny.com
mydomain = starpoint.com
myhostname = mail.starpoint.com
mynetworks = hash:$config_directory/mynetworks
myorigin = $mydomain
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.2.10/readme
relay_domains = $mydestination
sample_directory = /etc/postfix
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
setgid_group = postdrop
smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
smtp_use_tls = yes
smtpd_data_restrictions = reject_unauth_pipelining,    permit
smtpd_helo_required = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_invalid_hostname,
reject_non_fqdn_hostname,    reject_non_fqdn_sender,
reject_non_fqdn_recipient,    reject_unknown_sender_domain,
reject_unknown_recipient_domain,    permit_sasl_authenticated,
permit_mynetworks,    reject_unauth_destination,    reject_rbl_client
relays.ordb.org,    reject_rbl_client opm.blitzed.org,
reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org,    reject_rbl_client
sbl.spamhaus.org,    reject_rbl_client cbl.abuseat.org,
reject_rbl_client dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net,    check_policy_service
inet:127.0.0.1:10030    permit
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/postfix/certs/ca-bundle.crt
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/certs/newcert.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/certs/newkey.pem
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 0
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
smtpd_use_tls = yes
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

--
Tony Nelson
Director of IT Operations