List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: In the case of queue directory corruption
From:       wietse () porcupine ! org (Wietse Venema)
Date:       2006-07-26 12:43:20

Mark Hellman:
> Suppose the queue directory is on a separate drive and this drive suffers
> an unrepairable failure. If the drive is replaced with a completely empty
> one, does Postfix automatically recreates all the sub-directories of the
> $queue_directory or are there some manual steps we need to perform?

man 1 postfix

       The following commands are implemented:

       check  Warn about bad directory/file ownership or permissions, and cre-
              ate missing directories.

       start  Start the Postfix mail system. This also runs the  configuration
              check described above.

This does not re-create any files needed for chroot operation,
as the process is operating system (and version) dependent.

> And a somewhat related question: apart from some in-transit emails, are the
> contents of the queue directory critical enough to deserve being on RAID or
> can I put them on a single disk partition?

It contains

- in-transit mail

- postfix-owned directories

- chroot support

As email presents is a write-intensive load, a good quality disk
drive is recommended.

	Wietse