List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: Is local aliases lookup + relay host possible?
From:       Victor Duchovni <Victor.Duchovni () MorganStanley ! com>
Date:       2006-05-04 3:30:53

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 04:00:17AM +0100, Mark Hellman wrote:

> I manage a small server whose main service is Hylafax. Hylafax receives
> faxes, converts them to PDF and sends them to a group of users.
> Since the group of users is very small and doesn't change often, I decided
> to just to use a local alias table. My /etc/aliases contains a line like
> the following
>
>     faxlist:   helen@yahoo.com, ulrich@gmail.com, fabio@uol.br
>
> This as works as expected, except for a small detail: the server gets a
> dynamic address from the ISP; so anti-spam rules on the destination servers
> reject emails coming from my Postfix because it has got a "dial-up IP"...
> If I put the ISP's SMTP server on the transport table then destination
> servers accept my emails. But my 'faxlist' alias will not work anymore...
>
> Is there a way to use local aliases and relay through an external host?
> For instance, could Postfix expand the local alias 'faxlist' before relaying
> the email through the ISP SMTP server?

Yes. All domains in $mydestination are passed to local(8) and alias
expanded unless the transport table pre-empts local delivery for the
domain. Set myorigin, mydestination and the transport table accordingly.

--
	Viktor.

     system/email administrator to architect and sustain the Unix email
     environment.  If you are interested, please drop me a note.