List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: PCRE support by Postfix
From:       "Greg A. Woods" <woods () weird ! com>
Date:       2004-09-30 17:01:08

[ On Thursday, September 30, 2004 at 12:07:42 (+0200), Ralf Hildebrandt wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: PCRE support by Postfix
>
> * James <suthakar_gss@rediffmail.com>:
> >
> > I believe PCRE support in Postfix is unique to it and no other MTAs
> > support this feature.
>
> Exim does.

And Exim was the first amongst MTAs to use PCRE too, IIRC.  After all
the author of each is the same person.  :-)

The most recent release of Smail also uses PCRE (exclusively, as does
Exim, in order to achieve cross-platform portability of regular
expressions used in the configuration).

I'm considering making Henry Spencer's newest implementation an option
for Smail though -- its AREs are mostly compatible with what PCRE
implements, and are also much more POSIX compatible.

Besides its much enhanced and almost 100% Perl-5 compatible regular
expression support, PCRE is a great deal faster than most of the older
RE libraries in common use.  Henry's latest implementation (used in TCL,
PostgreSQL, wxWINDOWS, and perhaps a few other things) may be nearly as
fast, but I've yet to benchmark it fully.

--
						Greg A. Woods