List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: Aliases don't work
From:       "Andre Sourdiffe" <sourda () frlcpa ! com>
Date:       2004-04-30 20:58:55

>>> magnus@dsek.lth.se 04/30/04 04:42PM >>>
On Friday, April 30, 2004 at 22:27 CEST,
     Andre Sourdiffe <sourda@frlcpa.com> wrote:

> A couple of comments, I am new to Postfix and Linux. Set this up
using
> Scott Hendersons guide. I would appreciate any help cleaing up this
> setup I can get. My setup is that the postfix server is only there
> filter out spam and then forward email on to the 192.168.0.1 server.
> did think that having turned off local delivery was the issue but
> didn't know exactly how to set it up and preserve the original
> functioning. I didn't suddenly want all mail going to no existent
> users on the Linux box.
>
>   Sorry to leave that important info out. The error message follows:
>
> <spam@frlcpa.com>: host 192.168.0.1[192.168.0.1] said: 550 No such
> recipient

In the future, show log entries instead of this.

This is a message from the receiving server. I suppose you had
expected that spam@frlcpa.com would be rewritten to spam@spam.spam
(or whatever it was), but this did not happen since the local alias
rewriting takes place in local(8), which you have disabled.

You can use a virtual alias to rewrite the address. Remove the
domains you forward to 192.168.0.1 from mydestination and add
them to relay_domains instead.

[...]

--
Magnus Bäck
magnus@dsek.lth.se

I guess my real question is this then, what is the best way to set this
up without breaking what is already working. If I might prevail upon you
further, help me understand what would happen if I didn't disable local
alias rewriting. How would that affect what I already have setup. I
don't have a problem turning the local transport back on if it won't
break the regular mail delivery I already have.  I had thought to use a
virtual domain and use something like virtual.mydomain3.com as the
domain that would deliver locally. The domain would be bogus and not
valid outside my box. I also worried about what issues that might cause.
Thanks for all your help.  Andre