List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: really really chroot()ing
From:       Matthias Andree <ma () dt ! e-technik ! uni-dortmund ! de>
Date:       2003-08-31 15:18:27

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, David E. Smith wrote:

> Alternately... The reason I'm jumping through all the hoops is
> because the boss has decided we should be running Plesk for our Web
> hosting, and it comes with its own mail system (based, I believe, on
> qmail). Any nasty problems I should be aware of if I tried to have
> both Postfix and qmail running on the same system at the same time?
> Obviously, I'll have to make sure they're not both trying to bind to
> the same IP addresses, and I'll have to keep an eye on
> /usr/sbin/sendmail (since they'll probably fight over that as
> well)...

Well, no-one wants to run qmail-smtpd on an externally visible port if
he has Postfix, so ditch qmail-smtpd.

Whether you use Postfix' sendmail or qmail's, depends on your setup. I'd
prefer Postfix' for performance reasons.

Forwarding from Postfix into qmail is easier, which may be useful and
particularly easy if Plesk serves a subdomain, but with recent Postfix,
it's also possible per address (transport_maps).

Example master.cf for handing off some domains to qmail:

qmail  unix     -       n       n       -       -       pipe
    flags=R user=qmailq argv=/var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject ${recipient}

Example transport_maps for main.cf:

Example /etc/postfix/transport:

plesk.example.org   qmail:

That's it!

One drawback is you can't use smtproutes for the way out unless you
patch qmail, and using qmail-qmqpc instead of qmail-queue won't work for
you because you'd loop the mail forth and back between Postfix and
qmail. So either change the application to use SMTP injection or look
for Scott Gifford's multi-IP patch which is said to fix this AFAIR.

Whether this applies to Plesk, is a different matter I cannot comment on.

--
Matthias Andree