List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Loosing mail without UPS?
From:       Michael Brade <brade () informatik ! uni-muenchen ! de>
Date:       2002-05-23 21:32:14

Hi!

Someone told me that a productive server absolutely *needs* an UPS to not
loose mail, regardless of the filesystem, write cache status and chattr. Is
that really correct? I didn't believe it, partly because of reading the
thread "ext3 and chattr +S on postfix spools" from Feb but my knowledge about
filesystems and postfix's internals regarding sync() usage is not enough to
be sure. Ralfs recommendation with ext3 was to disable write cache and to use
chattr -S. With this setup, is it really theoretically possible to switch off
the computer so that some mails will be lost?

Thanks,
--
Michael Brade;                 KDE Developer, Student of Computer Science
  |-mail: echo brade !#|tr -d "c oh"|s\e\d 's/e/\@/2;s/$/.org/;s/bra/k/2'

KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops

-