List:       portmaster-users
Subject:    Re: (PM) Advice
From:       "Jake Messinger" <jake () portmasters ! com>
Date:       2003-05-12 22:29:43

> We are a small ISP, currently running two T-1s through a PM-3 running
ComOS
> 3.9.1c1, authenticating dialup user to a FreeBSD Unix server running
Radius.

> We are preparing to add dialup service in a nearbly town. We will be
> installing another PM-3, and router, but getting the new PM-3 to
> authenticate through our existing Radius server remotely.
>
> I was not with the company when the hardware at our site was setup
> initially. Will we need a CSU/DSU, at our new location? We have one here a
> the main site, so I assume we'll need one at the new site as well.

If you want to connect the remote site to your host site, and you have just
1 incoming t1 at the remote site, you can use the 2nd port of the pm3 to
feed it back to the main site. If you have 2 incoming t1's, and a third for
your backhaul, youll need a router and csu/dsu.

> How difficult will this be to setup? Just any general background input
> anyone might have is what I'm looking for...For instance, will I have to
> connect to the new PM-3 via serial for the initial setup? I would imagine

It depends where you get the pm3 from. Did you buy the pm3 already?

-
To unsubscribe, email 'majordomo@portmasters.com' with