List:       portmaster-users
Subject:    Re:(PM) Rules and PM Config
From:       David Bray <cooldave () nwco ! quik ! com>
Date:       2003-05-03 3:20:08

Hi,
Regarding question #2 in your message-
My experience:
The 200ms ping time is due to the dialup connection. This is the time from
your computer through the modem, Telco, etc., and into the PM3. This may be
a typical ping time for you. You are not in control of any of the things on
the Telco side of things, who knows how much of their infrastructure your
call is routed through...?

Pinging your assigned dialup IP address from the dialed in PC only pings
itself, should be the same as pinging 127.0.0.1 (the loopback address).
Pinging the address of a dialup user from the location of the PM3 will show
the round trip ping time to the dialed in user's PC. A 48K connection may
actually increase the ping time, as I have seen latency increase with the
compression involved. Try a V34 connection from the same modem for a test.
I have gamers that run V34 and see better ping times, the throughput I see
on the game applications is very low, 10K bps or less!

I don't believe that your configuration is improper.

I hope this helps.    -CD-

:

>Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 09:18:54 -0400
>From: "Mark [Support]" <tech@orilliapronet.com>
>Subject: (PM) Rules and PM Config
>
>Hello all.
>
>I need help with two things.  I want to optimize my PM3 a bit better than
>it is
>now.  You can help on-list or e-mail me off-list if you prefer.
>
>1.  Rules.  ...  removed ...
>2.  When I dial into the PM3 with a modem and connect at 48k and then ping my
>gateway or dns [which are local] it responds fine but with ping times of 200ms
>on average.  I do a tracert and it shows 3 hops, the PM3, the router, the dns
>box.  I plug directly into the network and ping times are under 10ms.  I can
>understand a bit on an increase since it's dial but not that much.  Possible
>config problem with the PM3 or any ideas?  Just FYI, I also ping the PM3
>that I
>am dialed into, same 200ms.  I ping the IP I am assigned when on that PM3
>under
>10ms.  Since I an on that box and pinging it, the response should be under
>10ms
>as well.
>
>Any help would be much appreciated.
>
>- --