List:       portmaster-users
Subject:    Re: (PM) Routing Help Needed Cisco & IRX
From:       "Jim Flowers" <jflowers () ezo ! net>
Date:       2002-12-27 20:01:03

Dick,

Thanks for your splendid response.  You really filled in a gap in my
knowledge about routing.  I ran a traceroute on the mac address of the new
managed router while I moved the ethernet cable from a switch port to a
hub.  This triggered the Cisco to run through the entire /22 with arp who-
has queries.  FYI, both IRX routers and PM3 NACs responded to the addresses
for which they had routes.

I think that this is probably basic router operation that every network
engineer should know but I didn't.

So, thanks again.  I think I now understand it a little better.  And I agree
with you about the managed router concept.

--
Jim Flowers<jflowers@ezo.net>