List:       portmaster-users
Subject:    (PM) PM2s as console concentrators for Sun servers
From:       "Michael C. Brenner" <mbrenner () kaibren ! com>
Date:       2002-12-21 4:14:14

At 08:24 PM 12/20/2002, Jake 'Portmaster' Messinger wrote:
>Well.. IMO, the portmaster 2 was the best and easiest to set up analog
>remote access server/console server I ever used and Ive been doing this
>since 1977 with 150 BPS modems.

No question the PM2 (and 3) rules as an access server. I had my first
PM2eR30 in 1995. Its Radius server ran on a Sparcstation 5 until April of 2001.

It is annoying though to use the PM2 as a Sun console concentrator because
it always sends breaks on reset. (unless you have found a config setting
that keeps it from sending breaks on power up, reboot, and reset all.)
It means you need to disable the stop-a function on the Suns which means
you can't drive them 99.9% lights out.

The Annex is careful to not send breaks (but its cables can be a nightmare
and so is its config.)

MB

-
To unsubscribe, email 'majordomo@portmasters.com' with