List:       poptop-server
Subject:    Re: [Poptop-server] Routing with pptpd and pptp client and a
From:       James Cameron <james.cameron () hp ! com>
Date:       2007-01-10 8:14:33

G'day Greg,

I agree with Phil, PPTP isn't the best option for this, far better to go
for something else.  I've not tried CIPE, but it looks sensible.  I have
tried OpenVPN, and found it quite reliable, and it continues to survive
network outages of various sorts.  Connections over the tunnel stall for
a while, then resume.  No drama.

Since you have PPTP already up and running, you can SSH in to the
system, set up OpenVPN, make it connect, and then cut-over when you are
happy with it.  I use cut-over scripts with safety timeouts, so that
unless I'm able to SSH in and stop them, they'll put things back the way
they were.  Very useful for preventing "dead remote box" problem.

That said, you could continue with PPTP and compensate for all the
problems you've encountered:

1.  use strace or examine the code to find out what pptpconfig is doing
that you aren't reproducing,

2.  try "demand" mode in pppd, with "persist", so that if the link falls
down, packets are held until the link is recovered,

3.  configure the pptpd to only use one address, and destroy the old
session as soon as a new session is detected, probably with ip-pre-up
scripting on the server side.

--
James Cameron                         http://quozl.netrek.org/
HP Open Source, Volunteer             http://opensource.hp.com/