List:       poptop-server
Subject:    [Poptop-server] NT domain behaviour once VPN'ed
From:       Illtud Daniel <illtud.daniel () llgc ! org ! uk>
Date:       2005-05-24 9:33:25

Hi,

I followed James Cameron's Red Hat HowTo:

http://poptop.sourceforge.net/dox/redhat-howto.phtml

and I now have a w2k client VPN'ing in to our LAN. We
have an NT domain (let's call it NT_DOM) and I want
this user to login to the domain, have a domain logon
script execute which connects some network drives. So
I've checked the 'log on to domain' option in the w2k
VPN setup, and given it NT_DOM as the name for the
domain. I've had to put NT_DOM\username in the chap-
secrets file (since the rpm doesn't seem to be compiled
with the strip-domain option) and I can VPN in fine.

However, I'm seeing some oddness whilst browsing the
domain and attempting to map network drives. For
starters, the domain logon script doesn't execute when
the client logs on to the domain. Also, some of the
servers will give access to their shares fine, but
others give an 'incorrect username or password'. If I
pass 'username' as the username for these shares
(same password) then I can use the shares OK. If I set
it up so that the client doesn't log on to the domain,
then I can access some shares simply by clicking (the
username & password credentials are valid for the domain)
but others need 'NT_DOM\username' & password.

What I can't get is a single set of credentials that
works for all of the shares on our domain - some
insist on 'username' and some insist on 'NT_DOM\username'
- there doesn't seem to be a pattern on which servers
want which (we have NT, 2003 & samba servers). Is this
a known issue? I'm assuming it's a windows problem
rather than a pptpd problem, but if I take this to a
windows forum they're unlikely to be much help if I
mention that the VPN server is poptop.

Any help or pointers would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

--
Illtud Daniel                                 illtud.daniel@llgc.org.uk
Uwch Ddadansoddwr Systemau                       Senior Systems Analyst