List:       poptop-server
Subject:    [Poptop-server] Connection OK, accessing LAN behind server not possible
From:       "P.G. Willemsen" <pgwillemsen () bedenkt ! nl>
Date:       2004-12-28 9:26:43

Hi all,

At the moment I have a PoPToP server running. I can succesfully connect
to it from a remote PC via the internet. MPPE and MS-CHAP2 are enabled
and work fine.

The server's local address is 192.168.0.2. The server's address in the
pptp connection is 192.168.0.203. The client's address is 192.168.0.204.

When the connection is established, I can reach the server (192.168.0.2)
and access the apache server, samba, dns lookup et cetera. This works fine.

What I CANNOT is reach any other computer in the LAN (192.168.0.3-50).
All tries time out. I do not know whether I should alter the pptpd
options, ppp options, firewall settings or routing(?) settings. Who can
help me?

/etc/ppp/options:
lock
auth
dump
require-mschap-v2
require-mppe-128
noipdefault
ms-dns 192.168.0.2

/etc/pptpd.conf:
localip 192.168.0.203
remoteip 192.168.0.204

After a search on the internet, I added 'proxyarp' to /etc/ppp/options.
Now I can ping and tracert to other computers in the LAN and web servers
on the internet, but the connections are *very* slow (while the server
192.168.0.2 is not so slow).

Perhaps this has to do with the connections details that Windows shows:
verification: MS CHAP v2
encryption: MPPE 128
compression: (none) <-------------------

Thanks for any hints.