List:       poptop-server
Subject:    Re: [Poptop-server] mppe problems.. I think.
From:       "Esben Laursen" <lists () hyber ! dk>
Date:       2003-09-25 8:22:42

YES, THANK YOU!!! IT WORKS!!

> Did you look at this guide?
> http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-debian.phtml

Yes I did, but I think perhaps I'd tryed the
require-mschap-v2
require-mppe
settings with the 2.4.1 pppd, and that didnt work. It dos'nt say on the page that it \
needed to be the 2.4.2 version to work..

> > Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
> > ppp_deflate             2944   0  (autoclean)
> > zlib_deflate           17664   0  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate]
> > bsd_comp                3968   0  (autoclean)
> > ppp_async               6752   0  (autoclean)
> > ppp_mppe               12256   0  (unused)
> > ppp_generic            22604   0  [ppp_deflate bsd_comp
> > ppp_async ppp_mppe]
>
> Ok, I see ppp_mppe.. That's good.
>
> > ive also installed the pppd from source (2.4.2b3) and the
> > pptp-client and pptpd server (Debian pakages)
>
> Good.  Not sure if you need pptp-client, but it can't hurt.
>
> > When I try to connect from the Windows2000 computer, I cannot
> > connect if I select the "Require data encryption, disconnect
> > if it missing" (translated from Danish), but if I'm not using
> > data encryption any only use the MSCHAP-v2 handshake I can
> > connect, but then there are no security ofcouse, witch sucks.
>
> So the problem is MPPE or your options.pptpd.
>
> > require-chapms-v2
> > +chap
> > +chapms
> > +chapms-v2
> > mppe-128
> > mppe-stateless
>
> You have the options for ppp-2.4.1 not ppp-2.4.2.  Check out
> http://poptop.sourceforge.net/dox/options.pptpd.txt.
>
> <snip>
> # These options are for use with the OpenSSL-licensed patch
> # This flavor will be obsoleted ASAP.
> # NB! You should also apply the ChapMS-V2 patch
> #-chap
> #-chapms
> #+chapms-v2
> #mppe-40 # both 40-bits and 128-bits encryption bite eachother
> #mppe-128
> #mppe-stateless
>
> # These options are for use with the BSD-licensed patch (ppp => 2.4.2)
> # This is the default implementation
> #refuse-pap
> #refuse-chap
> #refuse-mschap
> #require-mschap-v2
> #require-mppe
> </snip>

This was just what I was looking for!! Thank you.. :-)

> > /usr/sbin/pppd: In file /etc/ppp/pptpd-options: unrecognized
> > option 'mppe-128' (or something like that)
>
> Yes, this is ppp-2.4.2 saying what the heck does this ppp-2.4.1 command
> mean?
>
> > I have read somewhere that there is a patch to correct this
> > problem in 1.3.x versions of pppd and also a patch for the
> > strip-msdomain command, but I was under the impression that
> > these patches already are included in the source. Is that correct??
>
> Is ppp-1.3.x a debian package? On FreeBSD and Redhat it is called ppp-2.4.1
> for more than a few years now.

Yes its the ppp-2.4.1, that ships with debian as deafult.

> The chapms-strip-domain patch is only ~10 or so little changes.  You can
> find a ppp-2.4.2 version in the  poptop archives from somewhere between 2
> and 10 months ago.  Sorry I don't have a smaller range.  If you update it,
> can you send a patch for ppp-2.4.2-cvs to the list?
>
> > I hope there is some one out there that have read this long
> > email who can help me, I've started trying to configure the
> > this VPN, over 4 month ago, I've read hundreds of pages on
> > from guides, doc, FAQ I've even read the book  "Building
> > Linux Private Networks", but nothing seems to have the right
> > information for me to find the bug, or can tell mere where
> > I'm doing it wrong...
>
> You should have asked the list sooner ;_)

YES, should have, thanks again...!!

--
Esben