List:       poi-user
Subject:    RE: RE: [ANNOUNCE] Apache POI 3.17 released
From:       "Allison, Timothy B." <tallison () mitre ! org>
Date:       2017-09-27 17:22:45

I'm sorry for taking so long to get back to you.  After discussing with fellow devs, \
we'd prefer not to open a separate CVE for each item.  In looking at the items you \
helpfully gathered, we can categorize by type of problem and file formats affected.  \
I don't think we need to open a CVE for NPE or other parse exceptions (61286, 61287, \
61059, pull53).  For the others, we could open a single CVE based on the poi-release \
(hey, these are now fixed in version 3.17) or we might open two -- one for permanent \
hangs, one for OOM?  My preference would be one CVE based on POI release.

A full description in that one CVE will allow users to determine if 3.17 would \
protect them based on file type -- your main goal, right?

To fellow Devs and David, how does this sound?

DETAILS:

This is my understanding, please let me know if I've missed any or misunderstood the \
impacts.

61338 permanent hang : WMF
61295 OOM :doc, ppt, xls
61294 permanent hang : macros, wmf, emf, msg
52372 OOM: doc, ppt, xls

61286, 61287, 61059, pull 53 -- not an OOM or permahang