List:       poi-user
Subject:    Re: HSSF - Generating large spreadsheets in streaming manner?
From:       "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver () apache ! org>
Date:       2006-03-10 21:11:25

not yet.  Demand for the cocoon serializer hasn't been very high so it
is mostly deprecated (unless there is some massive uptake of support for
it).

Okay its time for my yearly rant on this subject (not aimed at you...you
just reminded me I hadn't done it this year):

I'm always a little curious about this.  XLS is a HORRIBLE format (which
is why I started POI, I wanted to do something difficult).  It is a
HORRIBLY inefficient format and WAS NOT DESIGNED to stream.  Yet people
generate massive sheets in it.  My pensiveness is that no human is
likely to read such a large sheet or be able to do anything patricularly
useful with it.  So who are these sheets for?  Often it turns out they
are some kind of data transfer, which is frankly BAFFLING.  Why?
Because I could do the same transfer with like 1/10th of the storage,
bandwidth, CPU, etc in a more well-thought out (or at least lightweight)
format.  Yet I saw a spreadsheet today that was 100mb.  The power of
Excel is that it can style the data and use some formulas.  This is good
for what is to me a summary report and not RAW 100m or gigs of data..
Of course this comes from someone who knows how to hack the underlying
binary structures but barely knows how to run the Excel GUI.   :-)

We now return you to your previously scheduled mail list activity.

-Andy

PS.  I wish the open office GUI wasn't so crappy, sluggish and
well...cruddy looking and printed nicely.  Their file formats make so
much more sense (and with compression they're reasonably efficient) and
the brilliance of text is that it works nicely with revision control and
revision control tags.

PPS.  I also wish the open office developers would either learn C++,
convert all of their code to C and/or port open office to a language
they know how to write better structured code in.