List:       poi-user
Subject:    Re: simple download question
From:       "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver () apache ! org>
Date:       2002-09-12 19:53:14

The production "releases" are more or less stable.  The primary things
you gain from getting a nightly build or development release
involve:

 1. Support for international character sets (French should be okay but
Japanese or Russian might not)
 2. Formula support
 3. Custom data formats
 4. Early graphing support

In a few days we should also have support for modifying sheets with
Macros in a development release.

However with these cutting edge features comes a certain fluidity.  If
this is a project whose release is 3-4 months out, I'd chose the
development build.  If this is a project which will be completed in the
next few weeks and you do not need any of the above mentioned
in-development features, then use a development or nightly build.

Thanks,

-Andy

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 15:50, owenl wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am interested in using HSSF to handle some .xls file generation for a
> project I am working on. My needs are quite simple and HSSF looks like it
> will work perfectly. In the downloads section there are the folders dev,
> nightly and release. What do these mean? As a user who needs just the basic
> funtionality which files in which folders should I be interested in?
>
> Thankyou for helping me clear this up
> 	Owen Lopaschuk
>

> --

http://www.superlinksoftware.com - software solutions for business
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document in
Java
http://krysalis.sourceforge.net/centipede - the best build/project
structure
		    a guy/gal could have! - Make Ant simple on complex Projects!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh