List:       poi-user
Subject:    RE: XML/XSL without using Cocoon
From:       "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver () apache ! org>
Date:       2002-03-14 13:43:41

The serializer uses the same tag language as the popular spreadsheet
program Gnumeric.  (The decision was based on the freely availalbe
information and the simplicity of the format -- Office's XML tag
languages are a royal mess, OpenOffice.org uses multiple files to
represent a single sheet which is too painful IMHO, gnumeric was ripe
and mature as far as XML went).  You can find gnumeric at
www.gnome.org/gnumeric.  The XML schema was donated to Gnumeric by HSSF
Serializer designer Marc Johnson and is maintained as part of Gnumeric.

As a general strategy I recommend just creating a spreadsheet styled as
you like it and then create an XSL out of it.  (Okay thats the other
reason we picked gnumeric :-) laziness).

-Andy

On Thu, 2002-03-14 at 08:12, Ducret, Gilles (CH) wrote:
> Just one more question: where can I find the XSL syntax I have to use to
> describe my Excel document?

http://www.superlinksoftware.com
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - port of Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound
Document