List:       poi-dev
Subject:    GCJ Native Library Success
From:       TJ Mather <tjmather () maxmind ! com>
Date:       2002-11-16 22:23:24

Hi,

I was able to get Apache POI to compile down to a shared library by
compiling *.java -> *.class using Ant with Sun JDK, then running
gcj -shared -o poi.so `cat classlist.txt` where the classlist contained
the core HSSF files (not the ones that used Swing, etc)[1].  I had to
compile FormulaParser.java, POIFSViewEngine.java, and HexRead.java to
*.class using GCJ, because I got a "bad pc in exception_table" if I tried
to compile the JDK *.class to *.so using GCJ.  Also note that *.java ->
*.class using GCJ doesn't work for some *.java files.

I was able to get the C++ native shared library to work with one of the
test examples using an adaption of Martin's patch.  For more details on
how to recreate the POI example in C++ see:
http://tjmather.com/poifilter/

The patch needed for POI to compile and run under GCJ is at
http://tjmather.com/poifilter/gcjpoi.patch

This is basically Martin's patch plus some fixes for the hpsf/*.java
files required for ./build.sh compile to run, and (Object) typecast
in poifs/dev/POIFSViewEngine.java required for GCJ to compile the
shared library.

-TJ