List:       plf-discuss
Subject:    [Plf-discuss] Re: [PLF-announce] [RPM] kavi2svcd-0.8.5-2plf
From:       olivier.thauvin () aerov ! jussieu ! fr (Olivier Thauvin)
Date:       2005-10-09 11:22:07

Le Dimanche 09 Octobre 2005 00:03, Anssi Hannula a ?crit?:
> Stefan van der Eijk wrote:
> > +Release: 	%mkrel 2
> > +%define		distsuffix plf
>
> Strange, this didn't work on my cooker-i586 chroot.
> I got distsuffix mdk used instead, until reversed those lines to:
>
> %define		distsuffix plf
> Release: 	%mkrel 2
>
> However, the following structure also works:
>
> %define rel 2
> %define release %mkrel %rel
> %define distsuffix plf
> Release: %release

Normal things:

The %define command add into the macro table the definition:

release => %mkrel %rel

The evaluation is done only when you want the result of %release.

Line like:
Release: %mkrel 1

set the tag in the header, and tag are fixed values (no evaluation possible
after), so it put the result of "%mkrel 1".

The preamble of specfile is read sequentially, this mean your first construct
set Release tag before re-defining distsuffix.

In a nutshell:

%define foo val
%define bar %foo

For those two line the order does not matter, because both are macro,

%define foo val
Release: %foo

Here it does because Release need an immediate evaluation.