List:       pine-info
Subject:    Re: A Problem
From:       Mike Brudenell <pmb1 () york ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1997-02-07 10:29:09

Pine figures out "your" e-mail address by following various rules to
generate it from your username, the name of the computer you are using,
and perhaps some things set up by the System Manager who set Pine up for
your computers.

However it may be that what Pine has figured out doesn't quite match the
e-mail address used by the messages being delivered to you.  (For example,
my proper e-mail address is "pmb1@york.ac.uk" but some other computer
names work for me to, and I also have some other usernames set to forward
their e-mail to me.)

Try sending your self a message and checking very carefully the e-mail
address shown in the "From:" and "To:" headers when it arrives.  This may
be different (even very slightly is enough) from what Pine thinks is your
e-mail address; because the don't match exactly it then assumes the other
address is of someone else, and so includes it when you try sending a
reply.

The easiest solution is to add the "other" address to the list of
"laternate addresses" that Pine should assume are also "you".  This is
very simple: in the Setup Configuration screen (S then C at the Main Menu)
look for the "alt-addresses" variable and put your cursor on it.  Then
type "?" to look at the built-in help about it.  You should set this to
any other e-mail address(es) that you can be reached as (such as the one
in the "From:" and/or "To:" headers of the emssage you sent to yourself.

You may like to mention it to the people who look after Pine at your site,
as it may be that others are suffering from the problem too.  In which
case the central configuration of Pine may not be quite right for your
site, and need a little tweaking by the System Managers in order to fix it
for everybody at once.

Cheers,

--
Mike Brudenell                                         <pmb1@york.ac.uk>
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York, YO1 5DD, UK