List:       pine-info
Subject:    Re: newsgroups
From:       Andrej Borsenkow <borsenkow.msk () sni ! de>
Date:       1996-11-29 6:42:01

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996, Mark Crispin wrote:

> On 26 Nov 1996, Vikas Agnihotri wrote:
> >  Well. thats because Pine __supports__ only ONE newsrc file. A lo t of
> > other newsreaders out there support a per-NNTP-server newsrc file so
> > that you can have  adifferent newsrc file for each NNTP server
> > that you use..
>
> It's on my list to implement this.  It's not trivial, because the way the
> code is currently constructed it has no idea of the name of the NNTP host
> when it goes to access the .newsrc file.

Another related problem is how Pine handles list of known groups on
server. Currently, Pine *always* fetches newsgroups list when I SUbscribe
to new group. In case of slow line it is pretty time-(and
money-)consuming.

What about storing local copy of available newsgroups and update them if
neccessary (e.g. when requested group was not found)? I understand, that
it would be hard to do currently, as you have no idea which server is
accessed, but if you are moving to multiple servers support, it should be
easy.

> If it isn't important to be interoperable with other news readers, I'd do
> something much better than .newsrc; how would you like to have all the
> flags (not just the deleted flag) be sticky across sessions, so it
> remembers what postings you've answered, what messages you've read, you
> can flag messages, etc.).

Do it!!!

greetings

Andrej Borsenkow 		Fax:   +7 (095) 252 01 05
SNI ITS Moscow			Tel:   +7 (095) 252 13 88

NERV:  borsenkow.msk		E-Mail: borsenkow.msk@sni.de